Tuesday, March 21, 2006

An Inverse of the Adverse

I think many people are aware of the saying about knowing a person by what kind of company s/he keeps. My mother’s version was “You show me where you live, I’ll tell you who you are”. Of course, she loved throwing that one at me because I tend towards being a bit messy.

Oh, all right, I’m a SLOB, okay?

Not all the time and not in all ways, but yeah, I can feel right at home with a can of W-D 40 next to a roll of duct tape on the kitchen table, and jeans and socks strewn like huge, sloppy petals all about the floor.

Well I recently had another realization. Personally speaking, one can’t judge me very well by the kinds of people I’ve made friends with, as there have been so many kinds of them. I’ve been close with intelligent, good looking, charming people, and I’ve been friends with those who aren’t.

I was a guest at a Palladian villa just outside of Venice with authentic Renaissance murals on the walls, antique furniture, a glass of cognac in one hand and an English cigarette in the other. Yet one of my favourite nightspots back home was a bar in the next town over that overlooked a small harbour. The fisherman could practically step off their fishing/lobstering/oyster boats and go right inside (and basically did). The floor was so slanted you felt like you were already drunk and barrel-chested, burly guys with names like ‘Rosie’ and ‘Tiny’ were regulars.

These days, I tend to be by myself a lot more. Sometimes I miss interacting with the variety of folks that I used to, but for now, I seem to be more content by myself. Although, considering the amount of time I spend online writing people all over the place or talking with them on the phone, I’m not sure I’m all that alone.

After reading today’s entry at The Rest of the Story, it occurred to me; what if it isn’t the company one keeps, but the enemies one makes that is a more effective means of assessing ourselves? If adversity strengthens the character, then our enemies give us an idea of who we are by whom and how we fight, as well as what we are fighting for.

Of course, in my case, I can piss anyone off; but I think that just proves I’m versatile!